Senior IP & Product Counsel
Zuora, San Mateo
Unifying order-to-cash for a dynamic subscription world
Join the Silicon Valley SaaS leader that’s powering the Subscription Economy!
Zuora is a SaaS company and the world’s foremost evangelist of the Subscription Economy®. Zuora’s leading subscription relationship management platform helps enable businesses in any industry to launch or shift products to subscription, implement new pay-as-you-go pricing and packaging models, gain new insights into subscriber behavior, open new revenue streams, and disrupt market segments to gain competitive advantage. Zuora serves more than 800 companies around the world in every industry. The Subscription Economy Index (SEI) demonstrates that SEI companies are growing revenues approximately nine times faster than the S&P 500. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Zuora also operates offices in Atlanta, Boston, Denver, San Francisco, London, Paris, Beijing, Sydney and Tokyo.
Sound like a place for you?
Are you a skilled attorney with experience advising on product and intellectual property issues? Are you a relationship- and results-oriented person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment? If so, you just may be the perfect fit for our team as we focus on helping build the next great $1B+ SaaS company!
General Description of Role:
The Product and IP Counsel will focus primarily on providing counseling and technology transaction support to our Product and Engineering teams from the early stages of product development through product launch. You will also have primary responsibility within the Legal team for product compliance and intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets and open source.
The successful attorney will:
- Advise, counsel and provide support to the Company, including senior management, on product development and compliance, technology transactions and IP matters.
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to advise on new features and business initiatives to ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations.
- Negotiate technology agreements to support the Product and Engineering teams use of technology internally and within the Company’s products and services.
- Oversee and coordinate with outside counsel as necessary with respect to intellectual property protection, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets and open source.
- Work with the Company’s Privacy team to implement privacy compliance and privacy by design principles.
- Implement open source compliance procedures and provide leadership on the Company’s approach to open source communities.
- Create policies, procedures, training programs, compliance programs and playbooks.
- Undertake other projects as required as part of a small legal team.
- Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 6-10 years of relevant product and IP experience, with a focus on product counseling and advice, technology transactions, intellectual property, and open source license compliance.
- Deep experience partnering with and providing support to Product and Engineering teams is required.
- Substantial experience with SaaS and software is strongly preferred.
- Computer science, electrical engineering or other technical degree or background is a plus.
- Prior experience with privacy compliance as it pertains to Product and Engineering is a plus.
- Relevant law firm and in-house experience (experience at a fast-growing, pre-IPO company and a public, global company would be ideal).
- Degree from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials.
- Interpersonal Skills and Competencies: The ideal candidate -
- Is enthusiastic and intellectually curious about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company.
- Can prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, rapidly scaling environment.
- Willing and able to build processes from the ground up. Comfortable with change and ambiguity.
- Excels in communicating complex business and intellectual property issues to developers, engineers and business leaders.
- Has meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product, and exceptional communication and negotiation skills.
Only candidates in good standing with at least one state Bar should apply. Position will be located in either Zuora’s San Mateo headquarters or at its San Francisco, CA office - no relocation offered for this position.
Zuora is a SaaS company and the world’s foremost evangelist of the Subscription Economy. Zuora’s leading subscription relationship management platform helps enable businesses in any industry to launch or shift products to subscription, implement new pay-as-you-go pricing and packaging models, gain new insights into subscriber behavior, open new revenue streams, and disrupt market segments to gain competitive advantage.
Want to learn more about Zuora? Visit Zuora's website.
Jobs You May Like
Data Engineer, Analytics
Managing Director, Financial Accounting & Advisory Services
Accordion Partners, San Francisco
Software Engineer, Front Office Tools
Data Ethics Specialist
LiveRamp, London, UK
Senior Director of Corporate Development
Vox Media, DC, NY
Software Developer - Trading Systems (C++/Java)
Vigilant - a DRW Company, Montreal