Back End Developer - Beer Hawk
ZX Ventures, Remote with travel to Leeds
Brewing up the future, today.
Beer Hawk is the UK’s leading online retailer of craft beer. Our mission is to inspire everyone to discover their next favourite beer, and we pride ourselves on how well we deliver the world’s best craft beer to thirsty homes across Britain. We launched in summer 2012, and have experienced 8 years of staggering growth.
We’re held together by our 4 core values:
1) We’re down to earth, 2) We always make it better, 3) We get on with it and 4) We give a shit!
Beer Hawk was acquired by ZX Ventures in 2016 – a global disruptive growth group, incubator and venture capital team backed by one of the largest multinational companies in the world, Anheuser-Busch InBev. In our opinion, this exceptional global backing gives us the best of both worlds: A northern E-Commerce start-up with global insight and potential career progression.
The role of Back-End Developer sits within a talented, passionate and supportive Tech team who will accelerate your personal and professional development. As part of the Beer Hawk team you will have the opportunity to work on progressive, industry leading projects with the freedom to push the boundaries. This role is currently based at home within the UK but moving forward you will also have the opportunity to work from our site in Leeds.
The Tech Team at Beer Hawk work across multiple projects, including those within PerfectDraft and BeerBods, so flexibility is an important requirement of those. The role may also include collaborating with our sister company InterDrinks, based within Europe.
This role isn’t just about code. You’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, collaborating with our talented team of Developers, Product Owners and Designers. We’ll provide support, feedback, and guidance so you always have the skills and confidence to produce brilliant work and grow into an important member of the Development Team. This role would suit someone with extensive development experience.
You will be working with the existing backend team and linking with the Project Managers and frontend on a variety of projects.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Drive the technology direction with the Lead Developers
- Write PHP to a high standard, agnostic of platforms and frameworks
- Devise, explain, and review technical solutions with the team
- Test work both through automation and manual testing practices
- Collaborate with the wider team to deliver exceptional projects
- Contribute to project planning and estimates
Skills & Experience required:
- Proven experience working in a developer role, within a fast paced environment
- Extensive experience with PHP and modern frameworks (knowledge with Symfony, Laravel or Zend)
- Strong knowledge of MySQL
- Familiarity using Scrum / Agile development methodologies
- Understanding of development principles such as Software Development Patterns and Coding Standards
- Ability to write clean reusable and well-constructed OOP code
- Experience with package managers and version control (GIT)
- Ability to construct an API using REST/OAuth
- Ability to adapt tools, libraries, and techniques for each problem
- Great communication skills and ability to work within a team
- Proven experience in the development.
The following experience would be beneficial to the role, but not essential:
- Experience with Magento 2
- GraphQL implementation
- Experience of integrating with a variety of third-party systems especially Algolia implementation.
- AWS knowledge (EC2, RDS, Lambda)
- Python coding skills
The behaviours we know work
- Being a true self-starter. Beer Hawk are proud of the speed at which our business moves so we like to work with those who are willing to be a part of the our fast-paced environment.
- Someone who is inherently curious - you know how to ask questions to get to the heart of the matter.
- Skills and experience are great but what’s crucial is enthusiasm for the role and the ability to embody Beer Hawk’s values.
About ZX Ventures
ZX Ventures is a global incubator and venture capital team backed by Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's leading global brewer. ZX is a smaller, nimble group that is part of AB InBev and is dedicated to investing in and developing new products and businesses that address emerging consumer needs.
Our goal is to make products, services and technologies that bring people together to celebrate and share great times, and to offer the world what it hasn’t yet even imagined.
ZX Ventures’ unparalleled access to Anheuser-Busch InBev’s research, technology and distribution networks allows us to have a deep understanding of products and what the consumer wants, as well as to anticipate and meet what their needs will be in the future.
Be a Better ZX Ventures Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at ZX Ventures when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about ZX Ventures? Visit ZX Ventures's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos