“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Data Science Manager to work with our Economy (Econ) team. The Econ team is focused on Direct-To-Consumer revenue and is crucial for the business growth of Reddit and to complement our Ads revenue through engaging experiences that add value to our users. Our current efforts include scaling Reddit Premium, awards, new uses for Reddit coins, and many more. As the Data Science Manager for Econ team, you will be leading a team of Data Scientists essential in helping us leverage the massive amounts of Reddit data to identify new exciting experiences for the user and drive monetization opportunities. This is a truly unique zero-to-hero opportunity - if you enjoy creating new businesses within a business leveraging data, look no further!
How You’ll Have Impact:
You’ll be the expert in ensuring we understand what users are doing on the platform and what they would be willing to pay money for. You will help us make the right product decisions based on insights and strategic guidance, leverage the massive amounts of data from one of the largest websites, and help define the culture and frameworks for future team members. Reddit sits in a unique place, where there are still a lot of low hanging fruit opportunities that will immediately impact millions of users and make a visible difference in our business KPIs.
What You’ll Learn:
- You will be deeply integrated with our innovative Economy team, which moves quickly and is constantly experimenting with unique product ideas to help achieve revenue goals. You’ll play a key role in determining the monetization strategy for users throughout their lifecycle. You’ll play with petabytes of data full of user interactions and events to develop new revenue opportunities that will impact the entire company.
- In addition, you will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Interface with the Executive team on the data reasoning behind product strategy: why we are doubling down on specific bets and what is the expected outcome
- Manage a team conducting proactive exploratory data analysis, distill data insights into strong product recommendations and own the A/B tests in order to ideate new opportunities for monetizing Redditors via coins, awarding, premium subscriptions, or a completely new product idea
- Partner with Eng and Product to define and execute Economy’s roadmap and initiatives
- Define team metrics and goals and scale data-informed decision making through ETLs and reporting dashboards
- Mentor and guide data scientists from across the company on best practices, techniques, and thought processes
Who You Might Be:
- 6+ years of experience in data analytics or related quantitative role
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL) and statistical analysis/programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems. Experience with monetizing consumer products or paid digital goods preferred
- Demonstrated ability to influence, guide, and ideate product strategy with data
- Demonstrated ability to ideate data research, distill insights into strong product recommendations and lead A/B tests to test the data-led hypotheses
- Experience interfacing with executive or C-suite level stakeholders
- Desire to mentor and manage other data scientists and share best practices to elevate the data science practice at Reddit
Founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005, Reddit is an online community where users submit, vote, and comment on content, news, and discussions. Nicknamed "the front page of the internet," Reddit is one of the top ten sites in the United States (source: Alexa), with hundreds of millions of users each month on desktop, mobile web, and our official Android/iOS apps.